Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center seeks an experienced, mission-driven Conservation Nursery Manager to join our team in Burlington, Vermont. For over 30 years, the Intervale Center has led a community food revolution that sustains farms, land and people. We manage hundreds of acres of land and have pioneered farm and food innovations like farm business incubation, commercial composting, riparian restoration, gleaning and food hub development. To learn more visit: intervale.org.
The Conservation Nursery Manager will provide overall leadership of our native tree and shrub nursery at a time when Vermont and our region must do more to address climate change, enhance water quality and reduce species loss. The Conservation Nursery grows native trees and shrubs, develops and manages restoration projects and provides innovative land stewardship services to strengthen ecosystem function. Our ideal candidate will bring experience with wholesale bareroot tree and shrub production, team management, land restoration expertise and social enterprise development.
- Demonstrated experience in nursery and/or agricultural production, preferably as a manager or team lead.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of experience or 4 years of experience in conservation, farming, biology, watershed restoration, agricultural resource management or sustainable business management.
- Knowledge of ecological restoration, particularly in riparian systems.
- Experience working in a team environment and leading a team to accomplish goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with comfort speaking publicly.
- Experience working directly with farmers and other landowners. Strong interpersonal communication skills required.
- Knowledge of state and federal conservation programs.
- Demonstrated experience working in both field and office environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and self-directed.
- Experience with project management and ability to manage complex projects.
- A valid VT drivers license and ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing the successful development and operation of the Intervale Conservation Nursery.
- Ensuring that seed collection, propagation and field production meets targets, is efficient, and results in excellent quality native trees and shrubs.
- Leading strategic development and financial planning with IC leadership and the ICN team.
- Leading sales and marketing and developing strong, long-term relationships with our customers.
- Supervising all Conservation Nursery staff including crew leaders and seasonal labor.
- Overseeing project plans, budgets, and implementation with ICN team.
- Serving as one of two Intervale Center Managers on the Board of Intervale Farm Equipment Company.
- Working with IC Lands Stewardship team as needed to ensure high quality care of ICN production areas and well-organized packing and staging areas.
- Ensuring all ICN vehicles and equipment are well maintained and meet all safety measures.
- Participating as part of the Intervale Center Management Team and other organizational meetings, as necessary.
- Representing the Intervale Center as a farm and food systems leader and supports the Intervale Center development and policy efforts as needed.
Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by December 11, 2020. This position is 40 hours per week and is based in Burlington, Vermont. Compensation range is $46,000-$56,000 and includes health care, 401k, and limited wellness benefits.