Mettowee Mint (formerly Mettowee Mill Nursery) in Dorset Vermont, is reopening Spring 2021 under new ownership as a landscape and garden center. Building on a 45 year tradition, our mission is to provide the tools to create healthy, biodiverse landscapes and timeless ornamental gardens, encouraging a mutually beneficial relationship with the natural world. Our approach will be sustainable and regenerative, while fostering community connections. The Mettowee’s 4.5 acre campus includes a 1,500 sq. ft. retail store, a 2,000 sq. ft. glass greenhouse, floral and landscape design studios, 10 additional greenhouses, barns and ponds, all situated on the banks of Mettowee River.
We are currently seeking a lead grower to manage all facets of greenhouse production. This position is a full-time, salaried role with benefits to begin February 2021. Pay commensurate with experience.
- Passionate about horticulture.
- Formal education or extensive field experience in horticulture, plant & soil science, or botany. • Growing experience using organic methods across multiple plant categories including annuals and vegetables. Perennials, woody plants and tropicals/house plants a plus.
- Greenhouse maintenance and management, IPM, plant nutrition and irrigation.
- Driven with a self-disciplined approach to achieving high quality results.
- High level of organizational skills with specific ability to prioritize activities, manage workflow and optimize labor and equipment utilization.
- Comfortable in leading, managing and delegating to a team. • Tractor or heavy equipment operation experience a plus.
Responsibilities to include:
- Develop and manage growing and care protocols for annuals and vegetables for retail distribution.
- Responsible for the ongoing success and management of greenhouse operations.
- Supervision of plant nutrition and protection, pest and disease control, and the maintenance of systems controlling the greenhouse environment, including HVAC and irrigation.
- Supervision and training of staff.
- Plan and control inventory, from budgeting and ordering through care and retail sale.
- Occasional interaction with customers.
This is a rare opportunity to shape the plant program of an established 45 year old nursery in rebirth. Please send a brief email outlining your experience and interest, along with a PDF resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.